Friday, September 01, 2006

Onionin'

I'm feeling chipper today. It's really foggy out, but I think it should last only through the morning. It's supposed to be between 67F and 73F today.

You know what I have a hankering for? A hamburger. My favorite is one with blue cheese and BBQ sauce. I'd also love to have some caramelized sweet onions on it, too. Doesn't that sound delicious?

I know I may have a friend or two saying, "What? Cee hates onions!" Guess what? Not anymore. I love cooking with sweet onions now. I like it in everything. I still have a hard time eating them if they're too crunchy (texture issues), but I hope that goes away soon.

My hated of onions started very young. I just didn't like the texture and the burst of strong onioniness when you bite into them. I hated anything from the onion family or anything I perceived oniony - chives (still hate them), green onions (can only eat them in dim sum dishes), leeks (because it looked like a massive green onion). My mom did make a wonderful pickled red onion dish that I could eat because it tasted lemony and not oniony. My poor mom had to prepare two versions of dinner if it required onion - one for me onion-free and one for the rest of the family.

The beau is a huge fan of onions. When we met, this was an issue. I don't cook very often, and he was used to putting onion in everything. I made him stop. He was so sad, but he did it. He substituted onion powder in dishes.

One day, I don't remember how or why or when, I bought some shallots and fried them up for some purpose. I decided that a shallot was more like garlic than onion so it'd be ok. I fell in love with caramelized shallots. The beau thought this was a good step, but shallots are expensive. Then, one day, we tried using a sweet onion - a Maui. A old, old friend of mine had insisted for YEARS that I would like a Maui onion. I gave it a go. Success! I could eat it if I caramelized the living daylights out of it. I put it on everything. We had broiled ones the other night. They were like candy!!

I can still only stand sweet onions or red onions (reds can still be kind of iffy if they are too pungent), but I doubt I can incorporate icky brown, yellow, or white onions in the pantry. They're too strong.

Baby steps....

3 Comments:

Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Russell Palmer said...

(Said with fake Southern accent since mine is long since disappeared)

You simply must try a Vidalia onion.
http://www.vidaliaonion.org/

Shallots are yummy, but I don't find them that garlic like. I think they're like....shallots. I just wish they were cheaper, I'd use them more. As such, they are a special occasion flavor.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Russell Palmer said...

(Said with fake Southern accent since mine is long since disappeared)

You simply must try a Vidalia onion.
http://www.vidaliaonion.org/

Shallots are yummy, but I don't find them that garlic like. I think they're like....shallots. I just wish they were cheaper, I'd use them more. As such, they are a special occasion flavor.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home