Monday, April 30, 2007

Must-Do, NOT + Recipe

I failed. I got a 60% on my to do list.

I did have dim sum, make food for the family, and buy a bucket of Extra Strength Mylanta.

I did not get a Tommy burger or get a Sprinkles cupcake. The second I leave L.A., I crave Tommy's. What's my problem? Why can't I just buy a burger??

AND I did not get a PT Cruiser this trip. I got the zippy Hyundai Accent. It doesn't have much take off, but once it gets going, it goes. Plus, it was tiny and I could park it in tiny spaces. I will think back on the Accent fondly. (does that sentence even make sense?)

I want to give the recipe for the meal I made for my family. This recipe lends itself to many variations so have fun!! It's a lentil dish:

6 ounces of bacon (or half a pack, which is way more, but it's so good!!)
one medium sized sweet onion, diced
three celery stalks, diced
three carrots, diced
four to six garlic cloves, chopped
three spicy Italian sausages, crumbled and removed from casing
one package of Soyrizo (chorizo flavored soy, has much less fat and calories than regular chorizo)
Optional: two tablespoons of tomato paste
two cups of lentils, picked through and rinsed
chicken stock
salt/pepper

Fry up the bacon over medium high heat. Add diced veggies and cook in the delicious bacon fat until soft (or until you get tired of stirring). Add the garlic at the very end so it doesn't burn.

Add the sausage and cook a bit (until the exterior of the sausage is browned or near browned). Add the package of Soyrizo and stir until it changes color a bit (not long at all - a few minutes). Add the tomato paste and stir a bit more.

Dump in your lentils and stir for about a minute or two. Pour in enough chicken stock (or water) until the lentil are covered and then some. I like my lentil stew thick so I add just about an inch extra. I sometimes add a bit more during the cooking process because it gets absorbed.

Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat to low so that you have a nice simmer. Cover.

Check often and stir, so the lentils don't burn. Add more chicken stock or water as needed. You'll cook it for about 40 minutes, but make sure you check the doneness. It's a crap shoot sometimes. Season to taste.

I serve it with a glob of sour cream. The beau just told me he tried it with shredded cheddar and it was delicious!!

Enjoy!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Mmmm sounds delicious!! I've got a spicy lentil casserole recipe that we love - will have to swap it with you some time :) xxx

6:45 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Oooo, I want that recipe.

I love lentils. I just made another 7 quarts of my lentils last night. It's so delicious!! That reminds me that I need more sour cream.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home