Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Who I Love - Chef Version

Inspired by the Hungry Dog blog, I have been thinking about chefs I love...

This weekend, the Travel Channel ran an "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" marathon. I love watching him explore different lands and different cuisines and all with a cigarette in his hand and some beer. He reminds me of the kind of person I used to hang out with in my youth - smart, interesting, but broken. He makes vague pop culture references that I almost always get. I know we'd get along, but I'd prefer never to meet him. Why ruin the illusion?

This weekend, I also found a repeat of an "Iron Chef America" episode with guest judge Mark Bittman. Bittman used to have a cooking show on PBS that I miss. Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is my cooking bible. Whenever I have a new ingredient, I pull out my cookbook to see how he recommends preparing it. He hasn't steered me wrong yet! I waited to hear his critiques of the competing dishes on Iron Chef, but he seemed to like everything. I like it when people enjoy what they're eating. That's something else I really like about Bourdain. He likes most everything, but when he doesn't, he makes a weird vacant expression, but still says it's at least "interesting."

PBS has spawned a new show that I love called "Made in Spain." Jose Andres is the chef who visits different regions of Spain to highlight their cuisine. He shoots most of it there, but he always prepares a tasty dish in his kitchen in D.C. Andres has the best accent and he's always "introducing" this ingredient to that. It makes it sound so civilized! I also love when he says, "Wow!" Again, his accent makes everything so much more exciting.

Finally, Rick Bayless seems like the nicest chef ever. He was on a recent episode of "Top Chef Masters" and was gracious to his fellow contestants, even if they weren't in return. However, you could tell he's very competitive and was burning to win. Did he? You'll have to watch. If you don't get Bravo, check out his "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" program on PBS. He speaks very deliberately, which can be irksome, but I always learn something new from him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I love Mark Bittman and I totally agree about RB--he seems SO NICE.

I also like Ming Tsai and of course Jacques Pepin!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa Blah Blah said...

I loooooove Anthony Bourdain. He is so laidback and so watchable. You feel like you could totally hang with him even knowing that his quirks might make him a giant pain in the ass in real life.

Have never seen Bittman in real life (I KNOW) but I too religiously use his "How to Cook Everything."

Have not seen Jose Andres, but now will check him out.

I saw that episode of "Top Chef Masters"! Rick Bayless does seem genuinely nice but tricks you into thinking he's chill. Mmmmm, Mexican food...

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home