Thursday, June 22, 2006

Boozin', Non-Profit Style

I can't spend all morning long posting, but I did have one little story to share. After strolling in late, I got caught up talking to some colleagues before I made it to my office. We were exchanging information about the weather forecasts (yes, I am really that boring) and my colleague shared that last night was so warm that she prepared herself a cocktail and had a grand ol' time drinking it. *light bulb* I asked, "Wouldn't it be great to have a margarita afternoon?" My colleagues laughed and said that there is no way they'd let us have one. I replied that I would happily ask wearing my naive new employee hat. Does it hurt to ask? No!! They were fine with that and flagged down the supervisor I needed consent from. Unfortunately, I was ill prepared to make the ask in front of everyone. What if I got shot down? What if he got angry that I asked? So here is the supervisor standing in front of me saying, "I hear you want to ask me something." I wondered to myself if I should ask him to go into his office, but this supervisor does not appreciate dilly dallying. I had to ask and ask right then and there in front of everyone. I said, "Wouldn't it be delightful if we had margaritas on a lazy afternoon sometime?" That was open-ended enough, I thought. The supervisor heard this, turned, and walked away. He didn't say a word! I couldn't believe I was standing there, having just asked to get boozed up at work, and this supervisor was just walking away down the hall. D'oh. Not very smart. As I chuckled (because it really was amusing) and started to walk away, he turned and said, "We can't do it until late afternoon, right before people go home." I said, "But of course, like around 5:00p." He said, "Yes, right. I'll ask someone on my staff if she'll prepare them. She makes wonderful margaritas."

So I may have orchestrated a margarita party for tomorrow. We'll see. MMM, limey...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! You just inspired me to have a pink lemonade and bourbon afternoon at my office today. All of my colleagues are pretty excited...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Excellent... See, this should really happen every week in summer. Hawaiian punch and rum would be delightful. Maybe next week, huh?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

Way to go!!!....any vacancies at your place?! You're lucky to get permission for a cup of tea 'round here *lol* xxx

6:29 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

I've had folks coming up to me this morning and saying, "Thanks for making it happen." The company is making it a party - chips, salsa, and margaritas! Something to look forward to... Believe me, we need it!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home