Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's a Small World

There has been quite a bit of work to do, so my blogging has suffered.

Today, I had an early breakfast conference this morning. It began at 7:30a. I usually like to wake up at 7:30a, so I was not pleased. If my boss and my Board chairs weren't going to be there, I wouldn't have worried about it.

I was a good gal and left with plenty of time. I arrive at the conference site to find a back up of taxis. Tick, tock, tick, tock... I make my way through the taxi crowd and discover a sign that directs me to park via an alternate entrance. I drove a few blocks to the alternate entrance and saw the LOT FULL sign. Tick, tock, tick, tock... I was forced to drive away and look for street parking. Yeah, no street parking. I drove to several other local parking lots (with very little cash on me) and found LOT FULL signs everywhere I went. I spied a lot on the other side of the street that cars were pulling into so I joined the line and got in. Whew! Tick, tock... I caught the early bird parking special - $11.

Four floors down, I found a spot and ran towards the elevator. Two other women ran onto the elevator with me. Of course, an airhead did NOT push the button to get us moving. I sighed as I stretched to hit the up button. The lady smiled and feigned moving out of my way. Hello! The elevator can't read minds, jerk. Up we go... Screech! We stop - between floors. Our non-jerky elevator companion shouted, "Great. We're stuck." I was stuck in an elevator and ill-prepared as to what I should do. I immediately start looking for a way to communicate with the outside world. Not so easy to find when you're mildly panicked. I don't know how much time ticked away, but we began to move again - down. We wanted to go up. The elevator swelled to capacity with riders stopping at every floor. We eeked our way up and out of the garage. Not fun.

So, now I'm late. I race to get to the conference. I grab my nametag and enter the hall. There has to be 2000 people there. How the hell am I gonna find my group? I paused as the enormity of the crowd sunk in when I heard someone call my name. "Cee!" I look and it's a former colleague of mine from five years ago. She and I are having lunch on Saturday and here she is. As we're hugging our hellos, I see my group. My friend and I sit at the table with them and I make introductions. As I prepare to introduce myself to the other table guests, I see ANOTHER former colleague of mine sitting at the table. It became a weird reunion of sorts.

So, the conference was ok. Breakfast was ok. Seeing old friends was great. It's a small world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home