I'm on the Road to Being Dooced
I'm gonna do myself in by writing from work. I know it. Yet, I'm doing it anyway.
Get this. I've been told that I'm doing a great job in this time of "transition" at our org. I was told that taking on extra responsibility meant extra pay until they filled vacant positions. Yeah! I'm all for that.
Weeks went by and I heard nothing. In those weeks, I've been really cranking out some important projects and making good progress.
I had a meeting today where I was finally told what my "increase" would be. Mind you, I was unofficially told what was being proposed for me and I was really excited! "Unofficially" I'd be making a high double digit increase. Officially, it's a low single digit increase plus a stipend retroactive from the time I took on my extra duties. Apparently, I'm not doing as good a job as I thought.
The powers that be "say" they hadn't realized what my income was to begin with and that it was already high. It's so ridiculous. They knew what I was getting, but conveniently forgot. Now, I'm supposed to be grateful for any sort of token of their appreciation for the work I'm doing?! I was losing sleep over trying to get up to speed on everything for this token??
I was giving them high double digit increase level work. Now, I'm bringing it back down. It's really a different feeling knowing where everyone and everything stands. I don't take it personally. They have a business to run, but I'm not losing sleep over this anymore. Actually, I do take it personally, but that'll fade. At least I've got a temp in here helping with the administrative stuff, so I don't have to focus on that.
I'm still so stunned that I'm sitting at work not prepared to go home and it's almost 6p. I know the beau will be disappointed because he sees how hard I've been working. It might be Sticky Toffee Pudding time.
BTW, I got a call at 5:30p, from someone who I think was checking up on me making sure that I was still in the office at that time. Sneaky...
Get this. I've been told that I'm doing a great job in this time of "transition" at our org. I was told that taking on extra responsibility meant extra pay until they filled vacant positions. Yeah! I'm all for that.
Weeks went by and I heard nothing. In those weeks, I've been really cranking out some important projects and making good progress.
I had a meeting today where I was finally told what my "increase" would be. Mind you, I was unofficially told what was being proposed for me and I was really excited! "Unofficially" I'd be making a high double digit increase. Officially, it's a low single digit increase plus a stipend retroactive from the time I took on my extra duties. Apparently, I'm not doing as good a job as I thought.
The powers that be "say" they hadn't realized what my income was to begin with and that it was already high. It's so ridiculous. They knew what I was getting, but conveniently forgot. Now, I'm supposed to be grateful for any sort of token of their appreciation for the work I'm doing?! I was losing sleep over trying to get up to speed on everything for this token??
I was giving them high double digit increase level work. Now, I'm bringing it back down. It's really a different feeling knowing where everyone and everything stands. I don't take it personally. They have a business to run, but I'm not losing sleep over this anymore. Actually, I do take it personally, but that'll fade. At least I've got a temp in here helping with the administrative stuff, so I don't have to focus on that.
I'm still so stunned that I'm sitting at work not prepared to go home and it's almost 6p. I know the beau will be disappointed because he sees how hard I've been working. It might be Sticky Toffee Pudding time.
BTW, I got a call at 5:30p, from someone who I think was checking up on me making sure that I was still in the office at that time. Sneaky...

4 Comments:
Bastards! That just ain't right. I remember when they started checking up on me and IM'ing me to make sure I was still working. I quit soon after.
By the way, I haven't been able to find any Sticky Toffee Pudding here in L.A. Do your contacts know where I can get some?
No Sticky Toffee Pudding? I have to fly down to L.A. and I could carry some on. Wait, they won't let me because it could explode. Damn, I'll have to figure something out.
I'm still pissed at work, but too busy to do anything about it. The beau is as, if not more, peeved than I am.
That sucks. You're right to back down from churning out double-digit work if you're not getting paid for it. It's hard when you're passionate and care about a project - but also not fair if your efforts are not being recognised.
If you have time for a little light relief - you got tagged again! Sorry - I need to widen my blog social circle!! xxx
I'll check out your blog and see what shall be asked of me and my innermost thoughts and dreams!
Post a Comment
<< Home