Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ridge and John

I thought I'd start out the Downbeat Records saga with a quick Ridge and John story.

John and I had been dating for some time. John was a musician playing in a hair band with aspirations of being a more classical musician. He loved the Replacements, but his band was playing music like an edgier Poison.

Ridge idolized John. Ridge was an aspiring musician, too. He played drums. His style was more speed death metal with double bass action (meaning he used 2 bass drums with a pedal on each drum to produce a constant very fast bass drum line).

John had tales to tell of when he was younger and in the music scene. He told tales of women and drugs and playing big and small gigs and touring and drinking and general musician fun. Ridge ate it all up. This was the life he wanted - except for the drugs and women. Ridge was a very loyal boyfriend and would not consider ever cheating if he was with a girl. Plus he never did drugs, not even performance enhancing drugs...I think...

One day, a friend and I snuck backstage at a concert for a local band I was very fond of. I made it into the back room where the band and others were drinking beer and talking. No, I didn't see any orgy action or drugs. It was very PG rated. I had a fleeting crush on the bass player of this band and maybe said hi to him before me and my friend got the hell out of there to look for the lead singer. My friend very much wanted to meet the lead singer. On our way out, we ran into the lead singer. She was being carried to the bus drunk and unable to stand. My friend ran up to her and professed his love for her. She slurred a thank you or an I'm about to vomit. He was thrilled.

The next time I was at Downbeat, I mentioned to Ridge that I saw the band backstage and said hi to the bass player. I told Ridge I thought the bass player was cute.

Next thing I know, John comes up to me and asked what happened back stage at the concert. I told him. He began to laugh. What the hell's so funny? I demanded. He said that Ridge told him I was trying to "get" with the bass player and that John ought to know that I was a sleazy person. Huh? John said he didn't believe it because it's SO not who I am. Ridge was just demonstrating his musician to musician loyalty to John. An early 90s version of bros before hos, if you will. Ridge wanted to earn some extra brownie points with John. John thought that was sweet. In the meantime, I was slandered for being a tramp. John promptly corrected Ridge and that was the end of it.

BTW, Ridge is now a successful drummer in a band touring the world with his killer double bass action. John is happily married with kids and God in his camp.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take killer double bass action over kids and God any day. I think Jesus would agree with me.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

Lol! Wish my first job was as memorable..........I worked at Little Chef and the most exciting it ever got was two coaches of grannies turning up at the SAME time and we didn't have enough teacakes in stock to fulfill all their elderly currant bun fetishes xxx

7:02 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

J - Jesus is a fan of speed metal, so I think He'd agree.

Nat - I hope they were all civil and shared. I hope... Sure did just make me hungry for a teacake...

8:55 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

no........man!.........they all had walking sticks and zimmer frames.......it got quite brutal........xxx

10:41 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

I've used a walking stick as a weapon. They're quite scary if you know how to use one. Sorry!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home