Adventures in Tubing
I've come back from a trip to Tahoe. I know what you're thinking - a trip to L.A., a trip to Tahoe,... Cee's a savvy traveler. Well, far from it. If you know me, you know I never go anywhere.
I'm glad the beau had the spur of the moment idea to hit the road for a snow tubing adventure on Friday. Thursday was nerve jangling because I had a BOT meeting that evening and they get out late. The beau and I were gonna hit the road when I got home and it takes ~3 hours to drive to Tahoe.
At the 11th hour, I got a meeting reprieve. I was told I didn't have to go. So I split from work early, but just in time to catch my nemesis BOT member headed toward the meeting. We both pretended not to see each other and probably curse each other under our breath. I know I did.
I got home and started packing (yes, I didn't pack the night before). I scurried about to make sure I had layer upon layer of clothing options - extra wool socks, wicking base layers, winter coat, gloves, snow goggles... My suitcase was FULL. Better safe than sorry.
We hit the road and encountered traffic. As we inch along, we decided to stop for dinner. I kept my eye open for two restaurants - Sonic Burger and Marie Callendars. I've heard Sonic makes some great tater tots. Who doesn't like that? No sooner had I begun looking when Marie Callendars popped up. Who knows what city we were in, but had some delicious food.
We hit the road again and wound our way up hills and mountains. The night was so clear, but the road was poorly lit and very windy. Soon, the banks of the road were covered in snow. I've seen snow a handful of times, but it still amazes me how pretty it is.
We almost missed the hotel entrance because it was very dark and tricky to tell sidewalk from driveway, but we made it. Our room was tiny, but who cared. It was just there for sleeping and showering. The extra bonus was that there was a complimentary hot breakfast served in the lobby. There was also a free shuttle that we could take that morning to get to the resort.
After the beau and I enjoy our hot meal of eggs, sausage, and biscuits, we checked out and waited for the shuttle. After 20 minutes in the cold, the shuttle appeared, and whizzed by us. Must've been a different shuttle. After another 10 minutes, the manager asked if we were waiting for the shuttle. He said he'd pop in to call and find out why they were late. When he reappeared, he said, "Come on. I'm taking you." He drove us to the resort and apologized for the poor shuttle experience.
I fit right in with my super skier gear until we had to ask for tubing passes, not snowboarding passes. Our cool cover was blown. We raced to make it to the tubing center on time when we were told by the staff that they didn't open for an hour.
An hour later, we were tubing up a storm. There was a tow line so there was minimal walking. I flew down the tube run at break neck speeds. We only did it for an hour because 1) we got tired 2) we were the only folks over 13 3) I got tired of little kids taking cuts 4) did I mention I was tired??
We saw a ~2 year old shove a handful of ammonium sulfate in his mouth and had to get people to help him. We saw the kid and his mom later and she said he'd be all right, but that they were off to the hospital.
After our resort fun, we drove to Lake Tahoe where I stuck my finger in the lake and grabbed some cool pebbles before being chased off by geese expecting food. I shook my fist at them and ran. We drove to a casino where I had a delicious prime rib dinner for $5.99. We gambled some and came out $0.15 cents ahead.
The beau drove back the whole way going 100 mph when he could.
We got some fun photos and had us some good times...
I'm glad the beau had the spur of the moment idea to hit the road for a snow tubing adventure on Friday. Thursday was nerve jangling because I had a BOT meeting that evening and they get out late. The beau and I were gonna hit the road when I got home and it takes ~3 hours to drive to Tahoe.
At the 11th hour, I got a meeting reprieve. I was told I didn't have to go. So I split from work early, but just in time to catch my nemesis BOT member headed toward the meeting. We both pretended not to see each other and probably curse each other under our breath. I know I did.
I got home and started packing (yes, I didn't pack the night before). I scurried about to make sure I had layer upon layer of clothing options - extra wool socks, wicking base layers, winter coat, gloves, snow goggles... My suitcase was FULL. Better safe than sorry.
We hit the road and encountered traffic. As we inch along, we decided to stop for dinner. I kept my eye open for two restaurants - Sonic Burger and Marie Callendars. I've heard Sonic makes some great tater tots. Who doesn't like that? No sooner had I begun looking when Marie Callendars popped up. Who knows what city we were in, but had some delicious food.
We hit the road again and wound our way up hills and mountains. The night was so clear, but the road was poorly lit and very windy. Soon, the banks of the road were covered in snow. I've seen snow a handful of times, but it still amazes me how pretty it is.
We almost missed the hotel entrance because it was very dark and tricky to tell sidewalk from driveway, but we made it. Our room was tiny, but who cared. It was just there for sleeping and showering. The extra bonus was that there was a complimentary hot breakfast served in the lobby. There was also a free shuttle that we could take that morning to get to the resort.
After the beau and I enjoy our hot meal of eggs, sausage, and biscuits, we checked out and waited for the shuttle. After 20 minutes in the cold, the shuttle appeared, and whizzed by us. Must've been a different shuttle. After another 10 minutes, the manager asked if we were waiting for the shuttle. He said he'd pop in to call and find out why they were late. When he reappeared, he said, "Come on. I'm taking you." He drove us to the resort and apologized for the poor shuttle experience.
I fit right in with my super skier gear until we had to ask for tubing passes, not snowboarding passes. Our cool cover was blown. We raced to make it to the tubing center on time when we were told by the staff that they didn't open for an hour.
An hour later, we were tubing up a storm. There was a tow line so there was minimal walking. I flew down the tube run at break neck speeds. We only did it for an hour because 1) we got tired 2) we were the only folks over 13 3) I got tired of little kids taking cuts 4) did I mention I was tired??
We saw a ~2 year old shove a handful of ammonium sulfate in his mouth and had to get people to help him. We saw the kid and his mom later and she said he'd be all right, but that they were off to the hospital.
After our resort fun, we drove to Lake Tahoe where I stuck my finger in the lake and grabbed some cool pebbles before being chased off by geese expecting food. I shook my fist at them and ran. We drove to a casino where I had a delicious prime rib dinner for $5.99. We gambled some and came out $0.15 cents ahead.
The beau drove back the whole way going 100 mph when he could.
We got some fun photos and had us some good times...

2 Comments:
Sounds like an action packed weekend! Last minute get aways are usually just so!! Hope you haven't blown your jackpot already, say, on expensive hair care!! xxx
How can you be all the way in Swansea and know me that well??!!
Post a Comment
<< Home