Saturday, April 05, 2008

Goodwill, but Not For All

It's early-ish on a Saturday morning. I couldn't sleep because I was panicking about the Goodwill donation I left on the curb last night.

I went throw my closets, drawers, nooks, and crannies. I filled seven garbage bags full of clothing. I remember counting 56 shirts... I included pants, shoes, jackets, suit coats, pants, and on and on. I added a bunch of socks, too. It wasn't on their donation list, but I thought it was OK. Apparently, I like to buy socks I never wear, so I thought someone else could have a go.

When the beau and I merged households, what like eight or nine years ago??, we also merged electronics. I think we had five TVs at one point. Two TVs died and were sitting around collecting dust. So were the four VCRs that we never use (I kept one just in case...). All are off to Goodwill.

Our donation, along with that of our neighbors, was sitting outside, vulnerable to the elements and predators. There was a ton of stuff and I kept thinking that vandals were gonna come along and break open the bags, littering the area with my old Gap shirts and Guess jeans. I kept waking up straining to hear phantom vandals. In L.A., I recall bring out a ratty old Cal King mattress and bed frame that disappeared in 5 minutes flat.

I knew the drive was going on from 8a-12n. The beau had called at ~1a this morning to make sure the Goodwill folks knew that we had a large donation for them outside. At 8a, I got up to monitor the stuff. The pile had grown since we brought out our last bag. At 8:47a, a big Budget truck pulled up and two strapping guys loaded everything up. WHEW!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

You are so good. I never fill those bags as they would just get stolen here!

Just one question - how big are your wardrobes to have housed all that stuff in the first place?!!!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Um, it's embarassingly large (a walk-in and a smaller closet) and I still have an unbelievable quantity of clothing. I thought I had made room, but not really. The beau was hoping to squeeze some stuff in, but he can't. I need a more organized system.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home