My February Experience
OK, I did something that qualifies as an experience, as per my new year's resolution. I went to a free concert at the fine arts museum. I saw a band called Sid Luscious and the Pants. Remember I told you about them?
The evening was weird. It started with me contributing to a community mural, which was hung in the museum. Now I can say my art was exhibited at the fine arts museum. Next, I watched the band tune up and I got some serious late 80s/early 90s flashback of watching countless good/not so good bands tune up before a set. I used to go to tons of shows - some bands had friends in them, or friends of friends, or whatever. It's a really raw feeling watching some band tune up with people milling about. I judge and snicker. Others must, too. It's too exposed.
To kill time, I ventured into the gift shop and left with an all-too expensive necklace, which I must return. It is beautiful, though...
The band started to play so I ran out and found a seat. It wasn't hard. There were three kinds of people there - 1) people my age or older with children who sat on the floor and created a mosh pit of 4 year olds 2) people my age or older sitting in chairs and 3) people younger than me standing behind all the chair sitting or child bearing folks bopping to the beat.
The #2 folks would politely clap and look around approvingly at the end of each song. The #1s would get up every now and again to rein in their child. The #3s danced and yelled.
The band sounded good. The lead singer wore leather pants and the guitarist wore a tux. It was classy.
At the end of the evening, I walked through cold, dark Golden Gate Park to my car. I'm lucky I'm alive.
The evening was weird. It started with me contributing to a community mural, which was hung in the museum. Now I can say my art was exhibited at the fine arts museum. Next, I watched the band tune up and I got some serious late 80s/early 90s flashback of watching countless good/not so good bands tune up before a set. I used to go to tons of shows - some bands had friends in them, or friends of friends, or whatever. It's a really raw feeling watching some band tune up with people milling about. I judge and snicker. Others must, too. It's too exposed.
To kill time, I ventured into the gift shop and left with an all-too expensive necklace, which I must return. It is beautiful, though...
The band started to play so I ran out and found a seat. It wasn't hard. There were three kinds of people there - 1) people my age or older with children who sat on the floor and created a mosh pit of 4 year olds 2) people my age or older sitting in chairs and 3) people younger than me standing behind all the chair sitting or child bearing folks bopping to the beat.
The #2 folks would politely clap and look around approvingly at the end of each song. The #1s would get up every now and again to rein in their child. The #3s danced and yelled.
The band sounded good. The lead singer wore leather pants and the guitarist wore a tux. It was classy.
At the end of the evening, I walked through cold, dark Golden Gate Park to my car. I'm lucky I'm alive.

2 Comments:
A mosh pit of four year olds? Rock Out!!!
Good to have ya back! xx
Four year olds have better moves than I do. That's why I was just sitting and politely clapping.
Post a Comment
<< Home