Shoe Shopping - A Different Experience
I hate buying shoes. Hate it. You couldn't tell by the number of shoes I have in my closet, though. I have one philosophy when it comes to buying shoes - It must be on SALE. Shoes must be on sale for consideration. I'll buy hideous shoes (yes, I still have the yellow canvas Reeboks in the closet) if the sale is good enough.
I amassed my shoe collection by going to Nordstrom Rack, Ross, outlet mall stores, and other discount retailers. A handful of my shoes are nice. Just a handful. Given the professional look I have to pull off daily, my shoes selection is sorely lacking.
I wear a lot of black, so naturally I need to wear black shoes quite a bit. I have one pair I really like, but I've worn them to the ground. I needed a new pair badly!
I had lunch with two dear friends yesterday at Nordstrom in SF. I'll describe the delicious, delicious salad in another post. I decided that I would stop by the shoe department to see what's out there and how much they cost. Just to see. My friend joined me on the search, which I appreciated because did I tell you about the yellow Reeboks? That's what I buy when I'm alone.
We found some nice options. A shoe dept. person came up and asked me if I needed any help. I said, "This is what I need. I need a black shoe with no patent leather on it. No heels. Has to be flat. It needs to be comfortable and go with business looks. It also has to NOT cut into the back of my heel. I don't want anything strappy or slip on." We walked around and found some options, but she asked a more senior employee for some additional assistance. The senior person went into the back, after hearing my needs, and brought out 6 boxes of shoes. All of them are very strong contenders. I tried them on and either rejected them or added them to the maybe pile. My maybe pile narrowed down to two pairs. The senior employee said, "You should just take those." They were the first pair I tried on and the most comfy. She was right. I followed her to the register and paid way more than I had in my account to spend. Way more. Know why? They weren't on sale. I got caught up in the excitement and did not abide by my ONE philosophy.
I'm wearing the shoes today and they are sooooo comfy. They are Amalfi. Don't know that brand, but I'll look for them on sale now.
I amassed my shoe collection by going to Nordstrom Rack, Ross, outlet mall stores, and other discount retailers. A handful of my shoes are nice. Just a handful. Given the professional look I have to pull off daily, my shoes selection is sorely lacking.
I wear a lot of black, so naturally I need to wear black shoes quite a bit. I have one pair I really like, but I've worn them to the ground. I needed a new pair badly!
I had lunch with two dear friends yesterday at Nordstrom in SF. I'll describe the delicious, delicious salad in another post. I decided that I would stop by the shoe department to see what's out there and how much they cost. Just to see. My friend joined me on the search, which I appreciated because did I tell you about the yellow Reeboks? That's what I buy when I'm alone.
We found some nice options. A shoe dept. person came up and asked me if I needed any help. I said, "This is what I need. I need a black shoe with no patent leather on it. No heels. Has to be flat. It needs to be comfortable and go with business looks. It also has to NOT cut into the back of my heel. I don't want anything strappy or slip on." We walked around and found some options, but she asked a more senior employee for some additional assistance. The senior person went into the back, after hearing my needs, and brought out 6 boxes of shoes. All of them are very strong contenders. I tried them on and either rejected them or added them to the maybe pile. My maybe pile narrowed down to two pairs. The senior employee said, "You should just take those." They were the first pair I tried on and the most comfy. She was right. I followed her to the register and paid way more than I had in my account to spend. Way more. Know why? They weren't on sale. I got caught up in the excitement and did not abide by my ONE philosophy.
I'm wearing the shoes today and they are sooooo comfy. They are Amalfi. Don't know that brand, but I'll look for them on sale now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home