Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Fabulous Fourth

I had a great 4th of July. We bbq'd a feast, as Americans are required to do on the 4th. Our plumes of hickory smoke mingled with the lighter fluid fumes of our neighbors. Normally, I can't stand the smell of the neighbors' bbqs because they bbq every weekend. I yell, "Smokey Joe!" That means lockdown time. I have to shut the doors and windows so I don't get smoke inhalation. Isn't Smokey Joe a good name for a bbq fanatic? I think so. We figured yesterday we should just join in.

From where I live in SF, I can watch four fireworks displays by just turning my head. The fog managed to stay away leaving the skies clear for multi-colored festivities. The first display was in Sausalito. It was a bit distant, but colorful nonetheless. It was nice, but not awe-inspiring. They hadn't even gotten to their grand finale when the SF show began. I think there was a sale on large red cheesepuff fireworks - the ones that turn into huge balls of light. They had lots of red ones. I wish I had taken pictures... Anyway, it was really beautiful. Occasionally, I'd turn my head to sneak a peek at Oakland's display. It was nice, but they shot off one firework at a time. I guess they tried to make it last longer.

Hundreds of people come to the part of the city where I live and they always bring illegal fireworks with them. The fourth show was the amateur show that was shot off around the neighborhood. At one point, they fired 2 RIGHT OVER MY HEAD! It was beautiful, but scary. During SF's grand finale, the jokers in the neighborhood lit their grand finale. The SF display was getting oohhs and aahhs from the crowd, but we were distracted by the ones right next to us and almost directly over our heads. I looked up and looked out and up and out. It was a 3-D fireworks experience. I don't think it's ever been more all-encompassing.

We walked back home after the dueling grand finales just in time to watch Oakland shoot off its finale. It was a lovely night for fireworks viewing. We look forward to doing it all again next year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Happy 4th July to you all!! The fireworks sound amazing, if at times a little petrifying!! I love the cheese-puff ones, but they don't taste all that great!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

I agree they don't taste all that yummy. Just as long as they don't rain down in a shower of fire on me, I'm happy. MMM, cheesepuffs... Now, I'm hungry.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home