Monday, July 03, 2006

Who Else is Out There Working?

Monday, July 3. OK, who else is out there working? Who else HAD to come into work because of a deadline imposed by an external source saying that some critical information had to arrive at their offices by Wednesday, July 5th? Who else spent last week preparing said critical information only to have her computer LOSE her document? Who else had an aneurysm trying to recreate the document from a variety of drafts that were printed out throughout the week on Friday? Are you out there?

OH MAN! I couldn't believe that I spent days collecting and crafting information for a grant just to have it vanish!! It literally disappeared off the face of my hard drive and off the network. Folks kept saying, "Take a walk and you'll find it." Nope! "Go get some tea and you'll relax long enough to find it." Yeah, no. I was so depressed, but once I shook off my funk, I told myself that if I just focus, I can get it done. Two hours later, I recreated what I needed. It was no easy task, but I did it. I did lose 3 hours, but I kept my sanity for a few minutes. Once I finished that document, I had to create a cover letter and get the cover letter and the attachments proofed. I also had to corner the head of the org to make sure he didn't sneak out early, as he is wont to do. Surprise! Surprise! Guess who tried to sneak out an hour earlier than he said he would!!? AND guess who had to say, "It's not 5p and you said you weren't leaving until 5 and I need more time to get my letter to you for your signature!!"?

So I'm at work today because we still have to incorporate the edits by the board committee members into the docs and we have to plop this thing in the mail. I'm hoping to sneak out early today, but after lunch...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Blah Blah said...

Oh, hello, that would be me, also out here, working. Not one single person in my department is here. It is my boss' birthday today, so I spent part of morning comparing cakes on the Internet (mmm, yummy)and I decorated her office with streamers and confetti. You might think I am a little bit of a suck-up, but she is quite cool, so I'm doing it because I want to, not because I feel obligated.

Why do computers always choose to fuck up when there is a deadline involved? I applaud your outward calmness. I hope your stomach lining isn't eaten away.

P.S. I don't think I can sneak out early, because I have to pass by HR to do so. Criminy!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

The HR-types I know like to look at their watches as you walk past them. Very passive aggressive.

An announcement was made that the office is going to close at 3p. I guess that's generous. I wish I could spend the rest of my day thinking about cake. MMM, Miss Grace Lemon Cake... Instead, I'll just blog the day away.

Hope you have fun checking out fireworks w/ the fam. We're socked in w/ fog so I don't expect to be able to see any fireworks :-(

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home