Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's Crumbelievable!

Big shock - I couldn't sleep last night. I had lots of time to occupy my mind with random musings. I started thinking about cheese. I like cheese. I think cheese can be added to almost any meal. Last night, I had a bowl of beans and rice to which I added some crumbled Cotija cheese. It's a white Mexican cheese that you've probably had crumbled on your refried beans or tacos. I bought a block of it a few weeks ago for a dish I prepared called enfrijoladas. Here's a recent SF Chronicle article w/ recipes if you're interested. My recipe consists of quick frying some corn tortillas in some oil and setting them aside. Then opening a can of refried beans that I thin with some water and heat. Then, I dip the tortillas in the beans to coat well on both sides, sprinkle with the Cotija cheese, fold up, and enjoy. Of course, I enjoy it after I add a ton more cheese on top, sour cream, Tapatio hot sauce, and more cheese. Is that so wrong?

Where was I? Oh, cheese. I bought said block of cheese and went through it so very quickly. I had to run out and buy another. I've decided that this cheese has earned a spot in the fridge. This cheese is no longer optional. It is mandatory!!

I was watching TV yesterday. BIG BROTHER ALL STARS IS ON! I may be the only one who cares, and, boy, how I care! I love that show. It's so silly and I become so invested in the characters - a.k.a. people. UH, again with the digression! A commercial came on advertising some cheese. What makes this cheese special you ask? It's been pre-crumbled. The old EMF song "Unbelievable" is used as the jingle. They changed the words to include "Crumbelievable." Is pre-crumbled cheese really "crumbelievable?" Are we so lazy that we can't crumble our own cheese?? I'm going to the supermarket today to investigate how much pre-crumbled cheese costs vs. regular cheese. I'll report back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey like your blog, but don't buy the pre crumbled cheese (or pre shredded for that matter) even if the cost is comparable. They add some chemical to the cheese to keep 'crumbled' or 'shredded'. Note if you pre-crumble or pre shred your own cheese, it will smoosh back together as it should.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Thanks for the heads up! I don't want any chemically-altered cheese. Plus, I'm almost certain that they're going to charge more for pre-crumbled cheese anyway. I refuse to be that lazy.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Russell Palmer said...

Hmm. Cheese.

Ahhh the great insomnia struggle and the thoughts and feelings it generates.

Commented back at you on my 10 tips driving post. Thanks! --pants.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Pants - First of all, love the name. Secondly, thanks for the comment. The East & West Coasts aren't so different. Always talking about sports, cheese, and gas.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home