Bono Called
He didn't really call me. He called out to the world. On Yahoo, Bono asked the question: How do we end poverty? I gave him my best 5-minute answer. It went a little something like this:
Not quite the dialogue with him I hoped for, but there's still time.
No one wants a fellow human to suffer from poverty. It's hard when we see it in our own backyards to rally to help the international cause.
We need to reeducate the world about its priorities in order to make a difference. Educating the public about the benefits of philanthropy would be a start, but we also need to be certain that the non-profits not only use the funds as the donor has directed, but that the funds are making a difference. There also has to be a radical reeducation of corporations on responsible corporate citizenship where they contribute to the community vs. exist to benefit their shareholders.
Too bad it's taken this long to gain momentum, but, hopefully, this generation and future generations will be less focused on material gains and more focused on making a difference. Thanks for leading by example. It's contagious.
Not quite the dialogue with him I hoped for, but there's still time.

4 Comments:
:( And I was gonna ask you for his number
*lol*
I get it: you still haven't found what you're looking for.
I WISH I had his number. I'd call and say, "Thanks for providing the soundtrack to my life." Then, hang up.
Anon - It will be a beautiful day when he does call. Plus, there will also be a snowball fight in Hades.
Post a Comment
<< Home