Hung Out to Dry
Remember when I mentioned that I have some crazy Board Members? Well, the head of the org has been collecting information from the staff members that have had peculiar phone communications with one crazy Board Member in particular. Unbeknownst to me, on Friday, the head of the org had lunch with said Crazy. He told her that staff complained that she was being "undermining" and "inappropriate" in her calls with them. She said, "Who said that!!??" The head of the org NAMED NAMES. He named me and I had only had 1 recent bizarre call with her, which I wasn't too bothered by.
On Friday, I had a series of meetings so I didn't get back to my desk until ~3p-ish. When I got to my desk, I found an e-mail from the Crazy. Her e-mail read "Dear Joe, Tom, Cee, and Frederico:" (The names have been changed to protect the innocent.) She said that she learned from the head of the org that we all thought she was being undermining and inappropriate (and that she wished we had told her rather than tattle on her to our boss. She said she would no longer call us. She would only send e-mails. Did I mention that I have to work very closely with this person? She's on my Board committee!
I don't feel she's always undermining or inappropriate. She's very smart and passionate. Yes, she's crazy, but sometimes good crazy in small doses. We don't talk all that much. When we do, she's quite entertaining. AAHHHH! So, my relationship with her is ruined. The head of my org screwed up Manager 101 - protect your staff. He hung us all out to dry. I feel like I've been socked in the gut and I don't want to be here. I'm very confused and I don't know what to do. I feel so sad about this. Not sure how it will play out.
Update: We're going to call her and invite her to coffee to talk to her about what happened and how we really feel. We plan on telling her that the head of the org spoke out of turn. Yikes!!! Hope she's up for it...
OH! I forgot to tell you that when I shared my recent incident with the head of the org during his "collection" phase, I said specifically TO NOT SHARE MY NAME. I have to work with her. He promised. I confronted him on Friday and said, "What the hell!!! You promised to keep names out of this!" He said, "Frankly, I don't remember making that promise and, if I did, I shouldn't have." How you like to work for someone like that?
On Friday, I had a series of meetings so I didn't get back to my desk until ~3p-ish. When I got to my desk, I found an e-mail from the Crazy. Her e-mail read "Dear Joe, Tom, Cee, and Frederico:" (The names have been changed to protect the innocent.) She said that she learned from the head of the org that we all thought she was being undermining and inappropriate (and that she wished we had told her rather than tattle on her to our boss. She said she would no longer call us. She would only send e-mails. Did I mention that I have to work very closely with this person? She's on my Board committee!
I don't feel she's always undermining or inappropriate. She's very smart and passionate. Yes, she's crazy, but sometimes good crazy in small doses. We don't talk all that much. When we do, she's quite entertaining. AAHHHH! So, my relationship with her is ruined. The head of my org screwed up Manager 101 - protect your staff. He hung us all out to dry. I feel like I've been socked in the gut and I don't want to be here. I'm very confused and I don't know what to do. I feel so sad about this. Not sure how it will play out.
Update: We're going to call her and invite her to coffee to talk to her about what happened and how we really feel. We plan on telling her that the head of the org spoke out of turn. Yikes!!! Hope she's up for it...
OH! I forgot to tell you that when I shared my recent incident with the head of the org during his "collection" phase, I said specifically TO NOT SHARE MY NAME. I have to work with her. He promised. I confronted him on Friday and said, "What the hell!!! You promised to keep names out of this!" He said, "Frankly, I don't remember making that promise and, if I did, I shouldn't have." How you like to work for someone like that?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home