Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Who Knew?

Have I mentioned that I don't read as much as I should? Well, I don't. Lots of books in the house, but I never found time to read. Actually, there has always been time, but I've filled it full of reality TV.

I remember reading 100 Years of Solitude a million years ago. I love that book. It's still my ab fave. In the years since, nothing (aside from other Gabriel Garcia Marquez books) has really engaged me. Then, I jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon and polished off the first book. I was enchanted by the creation of a parallel world. I got the second book, but it wasn't as interesting so I put it down.

A copy of Memoirs of A Geisha magically appeared in my collection some time afterwards. It sat on my coffee table for a long time before I flipped a page. I couldn't put it down. I found myself really entertained even if it wasn't what I typically like. I like fantasy and absurd exaggeration. This was somewhat fantastic, but based in and around historical events. Something about it kept my attention.

Last weekend, I gave that second Harry Potter book another try and I finished it over the weekend. I didn't think I could make it through a book that quickly. Good thing, too. I've got a huge pile of books calling my name. I'm gonna spend a lot of time reading trying to get through one book per weekend. Ambitious? Maybe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home