Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Fry This!

I got the bright idea to fry up some chicken. Who knows why? I don't even like chicken, but the idea of crusty fried coating haunted my dreams.

I looked up a recipe that incorporated buttermilk. I'm fascinated by buttermilk. I remember drinking it straight as a child. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

The very simple recipe called for the chicken to soak in the buttermilk for hours. It then gets dredged in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. You fry it in oil and there you go.

I jazzed up the recipe by adding some additional seasoning to the flour. I also researched how hot the oil should because the recipe didn't say. Is this something people just know? I hate getting splashed by oil so I wanted to get it right lest I burn the house down. That totally almost happened.

I read that a good chicken frying technique required that the chicken get added to the scaldingly hot oil then covered. Yeah, that's what I did. The cover went on and the tell tale bubbling oil sound meant I was on the right track. The smoking, though, was a bad sign. So was the oil jumping around in the pot like mad.

I attempted to lift the lid and was promptly attacked by oil. I threw the lid back on. I turned the heat down and waited a minute. Not long enough because I was attacked again and the oil was angrier than before.

Maybe if I throw in more chicken, the oil temp would come down. I decided that wasn't smart. Another minute passes. Time goes so slowly when you're staring down a pot of burning chicken, boiling oil, and black smoke.

I took the pot off the heat and waited for the angry sights and sounds to go away.

The oil cooled finally, so I turned the burnt chicken pieces to cook the other side. What?! I didn't want to waste it. I found a rhythm and cooked the remaining pieces. It turned out really moist and flavorful.

I'm still airing out the house.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should start with a Twinkie or a Twix and work your way up from there.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

You say you don't like chicken but I think you do! Who DOESN'T like like fried chicken?! Glad you survived the hot oil attack. Deep frying can be scary.

My mother in law's specialty is fried chicken. I tried to learn how to do it a few times. It seemed to involve no recipe and a lot of just knowing what to do when. Mmm, chicken. Perhaps that will be the subject of my next blog post!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

I was born without the chicken-loving gene. But crust and sauce will make everything better, even chicken.

I would love a fried Twinkie!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I think the deep-fried Mars bar is a classic.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Mars bars no longer exist, do they?! I love them so!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could be wrong, but I think Mars bars still exist in the UK. I think they actually still have them even in the satellite remnants (or whatever it is you call them) of the British Empire (Canada, Australia, etc.). I'm not sure, though. If I ever go to any of those places, I'll get confirmation.

If I ever go to Montreal, it's gonna be nothing but poutine, Mars bars and viande fumée the whole time...

4:25 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

I can confirm Mars Bars are a staple confectionary and firm favourite here in the uk lol! Do you really not have them? Wow. I don't like them anyway, they are so sweet they give me toothache - but wow. I can't imagine a shop shelf without them, lol!

Smoke? oil leaping from the pan? That doesn't sound like how they do it on tv?!

Glad you escaped the ordeal alive! xxx

4:31 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

You still have Mars Bars?! I'm jealous!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home