Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mexican Rice

Here's the mexican rice recipe. You can halve the recipe if you're cooking for a small group. I like to have extra rice. When I do halve the recipe, I still use a full can of tomato sauce.

Two cups of rice
2-3 tablespoons of mild cooking oil (sunflower, veggie, corn)
Half a medium onion (I like sweet or red)
One can of El Pato mexican tomato sauce (found with regular tomato sauce; it has a spicy kick; one can = one cup)
Three cups of chicken broth
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the unwashed rice and saute until most of the rice is opaque and some are toasty brown, sauteing often. Don't let it get too toasty brown or it won't taste yummy.

If your skillet has a lid, great. Add your onions until translucent. If not, like me, transfer the rice into a bowl and saute the onions in a large sauce pan until translucent. Add the rice to the sauce pan. Add the can of tomato sauce and the chicken broth to the pan and stir.

Bring to a boil. Once it boils, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Rice should be ready in 15-20 minutes. Check after 15.

Fluff rice and serve.

Everyone's rice cooking abilities vary. Use your judgement and learn from your mistakes. I have.

Some variations include adding garlic to the rice and onions until fragrant. Then add the liquids. My mom adds tiny cubed potatoes to the rice with the onions. They add some nice texture contrast.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I am so going to make this! Thanks for posting.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Let me know if it turns out ok.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home