Whew!
I'm back from my trip to L.A. I spent time with my family, which always makes me happy, but also really exhausted. There are four sisters and when we get together, we chat a mile a minute. One sis was down with the stomach flu, so three of us sat around and played the new 80s Trivial Pursuit game and enjoyed champagne. Well, actually, my sissies and my mom enjoyed it. I haven't developed a taste for wine & champagne. I tried to choke mine down with orange juice. It didn't help. That wasn't the point. The point was fun and fun was had by all.
My mom cracks me up. She cooks non-stop when I'm around. Non-stop. She'll say, "Are you hungry?" and 15 minutes later, I've got a plate of rice, lentils, and steak. An hour later, we're eating something else.
My mom is a nurturer. Not just of people, but of things. She has a garden. She's growing cantaloupe and ginger among other things. She doesn't mess around. She's got a green thumb like no one. She has orchids and other tropicals that thrive in ground that would barely sprout a blade of grass. She's got the best lawn on the block. Is it the only one on the block...? Everyone else has concrete. She's developed a little oasis amongst the graffiti and concrete. She recently got a koi pond to add to the serenity. It's really lovely.
Trying to get the family ready to do anything takes SO LONG. Even talking about what plans we're making is an exercise in patience. So many ideas are floated. Once we get close to deciding, new ideas get floated. More often than not, we end up doing exactly what we said we were going to do at the beginning of the conversation, but now it's 30 mins later and we're all hoarse from talking. Heaven help us if we try to go to the mall!!
Not all bizarre things are family related. I made plans to see a friend for lunch. I proposed the Olive Garden (all you can eat pasta - mmm...) and a 12:00p start time. Could I have predicted that someone would phone in a bomb threat on an RTD bus parked on the block of the damn Olive Garden? When I arrived, the Olive Garden staff was standing on a lawn as far away from the building as possible. They were accompanied by the CPK staff. The police, firefighters, and other official folks were screaming at those of us standing slack-jawed to get the hell back. Murmurs rumbled about a hostage, bombs, and other scary, but mesmerizing situations. People in cars stuck in terrible traffic (because the streets were all blocked off around the "scene") yelled out to me and others, "What's going on?" My response was, "Hostage." Did I know for sure? Nope. Did it make me feel vaguely important? Vaguely. It was a sea of chaos with yellow police tape everywhere in blazing heat. Police were yelling to their officer buddies, "I need more tape!!" Reporters trolled around, but no one spoke to me.
My friend doesn't have a cell phone so I left him play-by-plays on his home machine in case we never connected. I honestly couldn't see how we were going to meet up for lunch. At ~12:30p, I get a call from him. He's at a 7-11 a few blocks away. My instinct was that I wasn't going to walk all the way over there, but I remembered that I live in SF. People walk everywhere all the time. I told him that I'd come to meet him. I did. The walk was actually pleasant. We ended up at Tony Roma's.
My trips are always action-packed.
My mom cracks me up. She cooks non-stop when I'm around. Non-stop. She'll say, "Are you hungry?" and 15 minutes later, I've got a plate of rice, lentils, and steak. An hour later, we're eating something else.
My mom is a nurturer. Not just of people, but of things. She has a garden. She's growing cantaloupe and ginger among other things. She doesn't mess around. She's got a green thumb like no one. She has orchids and other tropicals that thrive in ground that would barely sprout a blade of grass. She's got the best lawn on the block. Is it the only one on the block...? Everyone else has concrete. She's developed a little oasis amongst the graffiti and concrete. She recently got a koi pond to add to the serenity. It's really lovely.
Trying to get the family ready to do anything takes SO LONG. Even talking about what plans we're making is an exercise in patience. So many ideas are floated. Once we get close to deciding, new ideas get floated. More often than not, we end up doing exactly what we said we were going to do at the beginning of the conversation, but now it's 30 mins later and we're all hoarse from talking. Heaven help us if we try to go to the mall!!
Not all bizarre things are family related. I made plans to see a friend for lunch. I proposed the Olive Garden (all you can eat pasta - mmm...) and a 12:00p start time. Could I have predicted that someone would phone in a bomb threat on an RTD bus parked on the block of the damn Olive Garden? When I arrived, the Olive Garden staff was standing on a lawn as far away from the building as possible. They were accompanied by the CPK staff. The police, firefighters, and other official folks were screaming at those of us standing slack-jawed to get the hell back. Murmurs rumbled about a hostage, bombs, and other scary, but mesmerizing situations. People in cars stuck in terrible traffic (because the streets were all blocked off around the "scene") yelled out to me and others, "What's going on?" My response was, "Hostage." Did I know for sure? Nope. Did it make me feel vaguely important? Vaguely. It was a sea of chaos with yellow police tape everywhere in blazing heat. Police were yelling to their officer buddies, "I need more tape!!" Reporters trolled around, but no one spoke to me.
My friend doesn't have a cell phone so I left him play-by-plays on his home machine in case we never connected. I honestly couldn't see how we were going to meet up for lunch. At ~12:30p, I get a call from him. He's at a 7-11 a few blocks away. My instinct was that I wasn't going to walk all the way over there, but I remembered that I live in SF. People walk everywhere all the time. I told him that I'd come to meet him. I did. The walk was actually pleasant. We ended up at Tony Roma's.
My trips are always action-packed.

3 Comments:
Waiting by phone. Imagining Malibu rum.
http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html
Woah - action packed?! That's quite scary stuff! Did you find out in the end what exactly had gone on?
Glad you had a great time with your mum and your sisters though, sounds fab xx
It was a bomb scare on a bus. No hostages. That was the rumor mill working over time. No one was hurt - unless you count me for all the walking I did.
Post a Comment
<< Home