Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Diagnosed

There's a line from song by Talk Talk that I take my life philosophy from - Life's what you make it. I used to think that everyone should believe in and follow that philosophy. Why wouldn't they? It just makes sense.

People have their own philosophies that they live by and my expectation that people apply mine to their life is ridiculous. It seems harmless enough - Life's what you make it - you have the power to change your life to be happy. Sometimes I forget it, too. You know. You are subjected to posts about me hating my job or whatever. Then, I remember that if I don't like how things are, I should do something about it. Even if I don't change the situation I hate, I feel empowered by trying.

Not everyone does.

As much as I want to see people make changes that I think will help them, it isn't going to happen until they want it to. And even then, unless they do something to help themselves first, anything I do or say won't help. So I won't.

My life's what I make it. My life. I'm not going to spend it judging or speculating, but trying to be the best me I can - whether daughter, sister, wife or friend. However, I'm also not obliged to tolerate that which I perceive to be harmful (emotionally, psychologically, physically) to those I care about. That's my choice. I hope that those who need strength find it in themselves first.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Sage advice. People would be dumb not to listen to you.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Here's more advice for people - Read Hungry Dog!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home