Eating Alone
I ventured out alone for lunch today. I went to a low-pro restaurant called Pasta Pomodoro. I like their food and it's easy to get in and out.
I was flanked by two other tables with solo patrons. The first was a woman with an illness of some sort, which I discovered when her very late lunch partner arrived. I tried not to listen and focused on my food and the other solo patron.
I spied this person checking out the menu before she came in. She disappeared for several minutes, then finally decide to return.
She was a nurse, which I could tell from her badge and outfit. She had lots of trouble with the menu as her preferences for Italian food were very specific. I only like spaghetti, no other kind of pasta. I cannot have meat. What flavor lemonades do you carry? Is your food fresh?
I thought she was going to be trouble, but the server dealt with her very nicely and she had a good lunch. She was only able to sit for about 15 minutes before her meal had to be packed up as she needed to be back at the hospital.
We checked out at the same time. No fuss. No muss. As we departed, she said she thought my meal looked yummy. I told her it was - Penne Salsiccia. She said she wished she could eat meat, but she was on a diet. I nodded knowingly and we left.
Although I ate alone, I wasn't really alone. Just like the sick lady wasn't really alone. We aren't as alone as we feel sometimes. People and their warmth, however fleeting, can surprise you.
I was flanked by two other tables with solo patrons. The first was a woman with an illness of some sort, which I discovered when her very late lunch partner arrived. I tried not to listen and focused on my food and the other solo patron.
I spied this person checking out the menu before she came in. She disappeared for several minutes, then finally decide to return.
She was a nurse, which I could tell from her badge and outfit. She had lots of trouble with the menu as her preferences for Italian food were very specific. I only like spaghetti, no other kind of pasta. I cannot have meat. What flavor lemonades do you carry? Is your food fresh?
I thought she was going to be trouble, but the server dealt with her very nicely and she had a good lunch. She was only able to sit for about 15 minutes before her meal had to be packed up as she needed to be back at the hospital.
We checked out at the same time. No fuss. No muss. As we departed, she said she thought my meal looked yummy. I told her it was - Penne Salsiccia. She said she wished she could eat meat, but she was on a diet. I nodded knowingly and we left.
Although I ate alone, I wasn't really alone. Just like the sick lady wasn't really alone. We aren't as alone as we feel sometimes. People and their warmth, however fleeting, can surprise you.

2 Comments:
I like this post. I miss eating lunch with you.
I almost called you, but I waited too long. Plus, you like to bring yummy leftovers sometimes. I'm gonna see KG tomorrow, but after that, it's work madness with two events this week.
So tired...
Post a Comment
<< Home