Holiday Shakes
Last night at 7:12p, a mighty giant grabbed hold of our poorly constructed apartment and gave it one big shake.
My favorite glass was almost shaken off its coaster. The lighting fixtures rocked. Lots of creaky noises made me leap to my feet and make my way to a doorway in what seemed like slow motion. The beau just stood there. I told him to get in a doorway. He didn't move. I told him again. Nothing. I yelled at him to get his butt in the doorway and he sauntered near one, but not in one. I was pissed.
I grew up in CA. At an early age, you're drilled over and over again about what to do in an earthquake. It's a reflex for me, but not so much for the beau. That's just stupid. He clearly hasn't been in enough to know that it may have been the start of something bigger. You can't be flip about Mother Nature and plate tectonics.
Our power didn't go out so I immediately hopped on the internet and went to www.usgs.gov - the website for the US Geological Survey. I dutifully filled out the form after an earthquake to share my experience and to add to their statistical data pool. The survey I filled out indicated that I experienced a Level II quake, but when I looked at the other respondents in my zip code, the cume quake experience was a Level IV. For a 3.7 quake? It seemed a bit much.
Anyway, I'm on high alert for more shaking and quaking...
My favorite glass was almost shaken off its coaster. The lighting fixtures rocked. Lots of creaky noises made me leap to my feet and make my way to a doorway in what seemed like slow motion. The beau just stood there. I told him to get in a doorway. He didn't move. I told him again. Nothing. I yelled at him to get his butt in the doorway and he sauntered near one, but not in one. I was pissed.
I grew up in CA. At an early age, you're drilled over and over again about what to do in an earthquake. It's a reflex for me, but not so much for the beau. That's just stupid. He clearly hasn't been in enough to know that it may have been the start of something bigger. You can't be flip about Mother Nature and plate tectonics.
Our power didn't go out so I immediately hopped on the internet and went to www.usgs.gov - the website for the US Geological Survey. I dutifully filled out the form after an earthquake to share my experience and to add to their statistical data pool. The survey I filled out indicated that I experienced a Level II quake, but when I looked at the other respondents in my zip code, the cume quake experience was a Level IV. For a 3.7 quake? It seemed a bit much.
Anyway, I'm on high alert for more shaking and quaking...

3 Comments:
Ooh lala! That sounds scary - we very very rarely have anything like that here.
What is it about boyfriends and stupidity going hand in hand then?!
Another of natures wonders.........
I KNOW!! You can't be macho vs. Mother Nature. She'll beat you every time!
I forgot to mention that there have been 2 other quakes - so 3 in about 4 days. Nothing like a jolt to make sure your emergency supplies are up to date.
Post a Comment
<< Home