Friday, May 25, 2007

Spandau Ballet

Oooo, you're always in the back of my mind. Oooooo Ooooo Ooooo OOOO!

Yes, I am a child of the 80s. I was talking to a friend who said I was a "super nerd" for 80s music. He's right. I am.

There is a game on Shockwave.com that is a music trivia game featuring 80s songs. You have to match the artist with the song. And I'm pretty good at it. The hours and hours listening to pop radio all those years ago really helped. My friend broke the goal he set for his high score by a lot. I have to try to break 10K as my goal. Seems lofty, but I'll have fun trying. Although I confuse Foreigner and Chicago and Styx songs all the time.

After playing my trivia game, it made me miss some of my old fave bands. One of them was Spandau Ballet. I searched and searched and dug up an old UK double cd of Spandau's Greatest Hits. I uploaded it to my itunes and burned discs for my car.

Spandau's songs are so fun and singable. Tony Hadley, that's the lead singer, has a voice that is in my range so I can sing the songs without sounding too crappy. You might remember their hit "True." I think it's been played at every prom since it came out. Sure, that's good, but Parade was the album to get. It had Highly Strung, I'll Fly For You, Only When You Leave, Nature of the Beast, Always in the Back of My Mind, etc... Those are the songs I love.

I saw them on the Parade tour. When was that...85? Anyway, I paid $45 for my ticket from a scalper. I was pretty close and I wouldn't or couldn't stop screaming. A deathly high pitched scream. People around me wanted me dead. I remember screaming and staring at the stage at the end of the show when the band was waving goodbyes. I decided to change up my wave to try to stand out. I did a weird clammy wave. I swear that one of the band members saw and returned my clammy wave. It made my night.

Where are those Spandau guys? I miss them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freakin' Genesis and Chicago, man. They're the ones that always kill me.

By the way, A Flock of Seagulls and When in Rome are playing at Hollywood Park tonight after the races. $1 hot dogs and $1 beer too. You should check it out.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

One of the Spandau guys, Matin Kemp, was in Eastenders (one of our long running soaps) for a good while :)

I gotta find me that 80's quiz!!xxx

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I searched and searched and dug up an old UK double cd of Spandau's Greatest Hits. I uploaded it to my itunes and burned discs for my car.

Where's my copy??? I have a car, too.

BTW, Always believe in your soul
Youve got the power to know
Youre indestructable
Always believe in, because you are
Gold

3:32 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Woo hoo! How fun to find all these comments!

J, - I'm with you. Genesis slows me down, but I love 'em!

Nat - I used to like Martin Kemp. I saw the Krays just because the Kemp brothers were in it.

E. - Your cds are on their way!!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home