Saturday, June 09, 2007

Guess Who Wouldn't Let Me Meet Him?

I know I said I'd do a series about people I've met, but here's a story about someone who didn't want to be met.

It was 1983 or earlier (it's all a blur) and I was at the airport. I think you know that as a kid, I was obsessed with music. So when I saw Prince walking through LAX flanked by two HUGE bodyguards, I got excited. That lasted a hot second.

I got up and made a face like, "I'm coming over to say hi." Prince saw me and shot me the scariest, do-not-approach-me look I have ever seen. Not only that, but his bodyguards were like, "No you don't!" So I was standing there like a fool as Prince and his people strolled by. His long purple velvet coat was blowing behind him, his platform shoes clopped and echoed in the international terminal.

To this day, I wouldn't dream about approaching him. I'll just sing Purple Rain in a lonely karaoke booth.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

He always has been a weird guy, even way back in '83 it would appear!

xx

2:28 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

I love early Prince, but didn't dig the later Prince. Don't let my friends hear me say that. They appreciate his artistic ways more than I do.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a related note – it was also in 1983 (I was six summers long), when my school did their annual weekend camping trip, over by the beach at Leo Carrillo. They split it into two weekends and I went on the first weekend. When the kids who went on the second weekend got back, they were all excited and bragging because they met Michael Jackson on their trip. Apparently he happened to be visiting there at the same time, so they got to meet him and hang out with him a little. Remember, this was 1983, at the absolute height of his powers, so it seemed like pretty bad luck to have missed out on it. But in retrospect, I was pretty lucky. Who knows what might have happened? I don’t know if you’ve ever seen pictures, but I was one blonde ass little kid. Maybe he would’ve taken a shine to me? Who knows?

Anyway, my point is that sometimes it’s better not to meet celebrities. Say you had met Prince that day – maybe you’d be a Jehovah’s Witness now. Or worse. You never know…

11:25 PM  
Blogger Cee in SF said...

Wow! Then it must also be good that I never met Clint Eastwood. He just sorta growled at me. Makes sense with him being the Man With No Name and all.

I think MJ was into his Alfonso "Silver Spoons" [can't remember his last name] back then, no??

But I haven't seen kid pix of you. Upload them to Flickr and send me a link.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home